THE RIGHT GROWING CONDITIONS
Learn about all things elevation and coffee.
The Higher, The Better.
- Coffee is a commodity. Because it is so well-prized, it can be tempting to rush the process. But the best results come with time.
- At higher altitudes, because of the cold, the rate of growth for coffee trees slows. When this happens, the coffee tree focuses more energy on bean reproduction.
- Because there is also better water drainage in the mountains, it means there is less water in the beans, which concentrates the sugar naturally present in coffee beans. This is why some coffees are sweet without sugar!
- While higher altitude coffees can taste more acidic, this also translates to sweet, fruity, complicated notes in your coffee.
- Lower altitude coffees are more mellow, but also generally flavorless.